I once read that, before sitting down to write The Stand
That sentence was:
Randall Flagg is a dark man.
If that sentence doesn’t conjure an entire world in your head, it sounds as though you’ve haven’t read The Stand. The only thing to do is pootle off and read it.
I thought it might be interesting to come up with a list of the things that somewhat describe the ‘feel’ of my novel. Desert Island Objects, if you will, with the desert island being the novel itself.
- Soselo’s poem about the moon
- The Amber Room
- John Wayne walking off at the end of The Searchers
- Horner’s Enemy at the Gates soundtrack
- Memories of a tour around a concentration camp in east Germany
- The Julian Calendar; does anyone else find it creepy that other places have other dates?
- My sketches of Joseph Stalin as a young man
- Powell’s soundtrack for The Bourne Supremacy
- Anna Karenina
Oh, and the synopsis.
UPDATE: Roger’s list is in the comments of Rachel’s article, a couple of other lists too…