Book blogger extraordinary Debra Hamel has lobbed a meme grenade in the direction of This Writing Life and, lacking a cricket bat to send the bugger into deep square leg, here goes with 'five things about me'. (Coincidentally, this is quite similar to the title of Aliya Whiteley's acclaimed debut novel, Three Things About Me.)
PLEASE LEAVE THE FOLLOWING IN ALL PEOPLE COLLECTION POSTS'Remember that it isn't always the sensational stuff that writers are looking for, it can just as easily be something that you take for granted like having raised twins or knowing how to grow beetroot. Mind you, if you know how to fly a helicopter or have worked as a film extra, do feel free to let the rest of us know about it.'
(1) When I was a secondary (high) school pupil, some friends and I designed a hypertext guide for the Commodore Amiga, which won a Spark design award. That was in 1990, a while before the world wide web had 'happened'. I think we earned about seventy pounds from royalties, which one of group squandered on an alarmingly expensive money box in which to store future earnings, which never arrived.
(2) I can become spectacularly travel sick if (a) I sit in the back of a car, (b) run up the stairs too fast or (c) watch Supernanny without my Joo-Janta 500 Super-Chromatic Peril-Sensitive sunglasses.
(3) My girlfriend shares her name, though not 100% of the spelling, of a water-filter company.
(4) By the age of fourteen or so, I had read all the available novelisations of Doctor Who serials, as well as several quiz books. When Doctor Who was the specialist subject of a Mastermind contestant, he scored about 70%. I, in the comfort of my computerized lair/bedroom, romped home with 100%.
(5) Remember the Karate Kid films? The protagonist, Danny LaRusso, studied a style of karate called goju-ryu. I also have a black belt in this style of karate, although I've never worn one of those nifty headbands, and the beard of my teacher (are we back to beards again?) was honeysuckle, not white. (I haven't been to a class in about fifteen years, though, so don't expect any high kicks on the webcam.)
Wax on, dudes.